Aftercare may be the most important factor of laser tattoo removal. Proper aftercare prevents infection and unwanted side effects from forming and ultimately determines the final outcome of your skin’s appearance. These aftercare instructions are simple to follow and will ensure the best outcome for your skin.
1) Keep the treated area clean and dry during the healing process. Wash the treated area gently with soap and warm water 3 times a day – pat to dry. After cleansing, apply an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin and cover with a sterile bandage. Doing so will prevent infection from transpiring. Repeat this process for 3 days following a treatment. Bandages may only be needed for the first couple days following your laser treatment.
2) DO NOT interfere with any scabs or blisters that form. Scabbing and blistering is not unusual and is commonly experienced by many patients. It is very important to refrain from picking or popping any of these as this may result in infection or scarring. Blisters will pop naturally over time and when they do, continue to apply antibiotic ointment onto the area for the next 24 hours.
3) If you experience any discomfort or inflammation on the treated area, apply a cold compress 24 hours after receiving laser treatment. Tylenol may also be taken for added comfort, but stay away from Aspirin as it may increase your chances of bruising and/or bleeding.
4) Avoid baths, hot tubs, swimming pools, or any soaking of the treated area. Showers can be taken as long as high-pressure water is not hitting the treated area directly. Pat to dry.
5) Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning of any sort. Cover the treated area accordingly with clothing or bandages to evade chances of skin pigmentation from occurring.
6) Itchiness is a common side effect and can be alleviated with moisturizers such as Aquaphor, Neosporin, or vitamin E ointment.
If you experience any abnormalities or are worried about any side effects, call our clinic at (920) 882-0115. Our professional skin specialists will provide you with detailed tips on how to best treat your skin.
© Copyright 2018 | Wisonsin Laser Center